Stratford and Area Boundary Review Project - 2023/2024
The video below provides an overview of the process. Details are also posted below.
The Stratford Boundary Review is looking at the current Elementary school boundaries in the Board’s Stratford Planning area, which includes schools in Stratford and the surrounding area. The purpose of the review is to determine how the boundaries might be adjusted in order to balance enrolment within the city and alleviate enrolment pressures at Bedford and Avon Public Schools specifically. A school boundary is the attendance boundary that each school has that determines which students will attend what school depending on where they live.
It is important that school boards try to balance and equalize enrolments between schools, especially if there are some schools that have too many students relative to the size of the school building, while other schools have excess space. In Stratford, the current elementary accommodation plan is not sustainable and a boundary review may help alleviate some of the current challenges. As a result, the Board of Trustees have given approval to conduct a boundary review. AMDSB has a procedure (Administrative Procedure 305) that helps guide and direct them through this review.
The review began in October of 2023 and will wrap up in the Spring of 2024.
Part of this process includes informing and understanding the needs of the community. To do this, a committee called the Stratford Area Boundary Review Committee (SABRC) has been formed with representation from all communities involved in the review.
An independent consulting firm has been retained to examine various options and scenarios, as well as how any proposed changes to the boundaries would impact things like enrolment and utilization, student distance from schools, bussing and/or grade structures. Once scenarios are developed, they will be vetted through the SABRC and the community using a feedback process.
In the end, the school board trustees will consider a report with options, recommendations and community feedback and decide what is best for the school board, while understanding the needs and opinions of the school communities.
Relevant Updates Provided to the Community and Board of Trustees
Stratford Area Boundary Review Committee (SABRC)
This committee has been formed and includes members of the school communities listed below.
- Anne Hathaway PS
- Avon PS
- Bedford PS
- Central Perth ES
- Downie Central ES
- Hamlet PS
- Milverton PS
- North Easthope PS
- Romeo PS
- Shakespeare PS
- Sprucedale PS
- Stratford Intermediate School
Up to 3 members represent each school.
- Draft Terms of Reference
- The SABRC is expected to have three evening meetings (tentatively booked for November 21, 2023, December 14, 2023 and February 15, 2024). Meetings will be held at 6:00 pm. The first meeting was hosted online, with the following meetings either in-person or online, depending on the SABRC’s preference.
- They will examine concerns and discuss the various options available.
- They will receive possible solutions and provide feedback on those solutions.
- They will receive feedback from the broader community on the possible solutions.
- They will make a recommendation to staff regarding the final option(s) to bring forward for public input.
November 21, 2023