The Board approved the recommendation of its Citizenship Committee to adopt the following character attributes:
We believe, model and practice the following character attributes in all Avon Maitland DSB schools:
- Fairness – Treating everyone in a just and accepting manner
- Honesty – Being trustworthy, sincere and truthful
- Empathy – Understanding how someone else feels
- Respect – Valuing self, others and our world
- Courage – Facing the challenge
- Integrity – Doing what is right and honourable
- Optimism – Choosing to be positive
- Compassion – Showing care and consideration
- Perseverance – Staying purposeful and committed
- Responsibility – Being reliable and accountable
Character attributes are the basis of healthy relationships.
What to do about bullying!
Regardless of the age of your child, you can help by encouraging your child to talk to you about bullying and giving your child the following advice:
- Walk away from the situation
- Do not respond – don’t talk back, don’t email back, don’t hit back
- Tell an adult whom you trust about the situation – a bus driver, teacher, coach, principal
- Find a friend to be with in places where you do not feel safe.
Bullying is not tolerated in AMDSB schools. If you believe your child is being bullied, contact the school immediately.
For more information about bullying and what you can do to support your child, access the following:
- A booklet, “Bullying, We Can All Help Stop It”, is available from the Ontario Ministry of Education to assist parents and students with issues of bullying. Contact AMDSB at 519-527-0111 or 1-800-592-5437 to request a free copy.
- These are also available on the Ministry of Education website
- Kids Help Phone by calling 1-800-668-6868, or visit www.kidshelpphone.ca