Administrative Procedure 201: School Day Organization
Education Act: Section 265 Duties of Principal; Section 286 Duties of Supervisory Officers; Ontario Regulation 298—Operation of Schools: Section 3 Daily Sessions; Section 11 Duties of Principals; Section 20 Duties of Teachers
1. Organization of the School Day
As provided by regulations developed under the Education Act, the director of education requires that all of the schools in Avon Maitland District School Board will organize their school day in accordance with the regulations and administrative procedures.
2.1 Principals shall organize and timetable the school day to meet the requirements of the regulations and this procedure. A typed copy of the timetable of the school day, as amended from time-to-time, is to be sent to the regional supervisory official to ensure the availability of a current copy of the daily schedule at all times in the administrative office for each school location.
2.2 The following parameters are therefore provided as requirements for all schools:
- The total number of instructional minutes for pupils shall be 300 minutes per day
- Recess for the primary and junior division shall be scheduled in accordance with the regulations (see references above)
- All elementary schools will use a balanced school day approach to timetabling with consideration being given to grade 7 and 8’s within a grade 7 to 12 school to organize an appropriate school day
- Timetabling in regular secondary schools shall provide for scheduled intervals between classes to meet the requirements of the regulations
2.3 Where an alteration is required in the daily operating schedule of Avon Maitland District School Board schools and there is a resultant impact on integrated transportation schedules affecting Huron-Perth Catholic District School Board schools, such changes will be made following contact and agreement between the appropriate superintendents of both boards.