Administrative Procedure 160: Access to School Premises
Education Act: Section 265 (1) (m) Duties of Principal: Access to School or Class; Education Act: Section 302 (4) Governing Access to School Premises; Ontario Schools Code of Conduct; Ontario Regulation 474/00: Access to School Premises; Trespass to Property Act
Administrative Procedure (AP) 112 Communications and Media Relations; AP 116 Distribution of Materials from Outside Organizations
1. A Safe Learning and Teaching Environment
1.1 The Ministry of Education believes that a school is a place that promotes responsibility, respect, civility and academic excellence in a safe learning and teaching environment. All students, parents, teachers, and staff members have the right to be safe, and to feel safe, in their school community. [see Ontario Schools Code of Conduct]
1.2 Avon Maitland District School Board has delegated to the Director of Education the responsibility of supporting school principals in their efforts to create safe environments for students, staff members, and other members of the school community.
2.1 The Director of Education requires that all persons, including visitors authorized to be on school premises, must report their presence to the school office and obtain the principal’s permission to remain on the school premises.
3.1 A person is not permitted to remain on school premises if the person fails to obtain permission, unless the principal has pre-authorized the presence.
3.2 Persons who are permitted on school premises are:
- Persons enrolled as a pupil in the school;
- Parents/guardians of such a pupil;
- Persons employed or retained by the board;
- Persons engaged in lawful purposes (e.g., making deliveries, voting, and other persons authorized by the board);
- Persons invited to attend an event, class or a meeting on school premises;
- Members of the board;
- Members of the legislative assembly visiting schools in their constituency; and
- Members of the clergy visiting schools in the area where they have pastoral charge.
3.3 The principal shall establish and implement a practice to ensure volunteers and authorized visitors are easily identified in the school.
3.4 School councils shall be consulted in the development of any school practices regarding school access, and these practices will be reviewed annually by the principal in consultation with the school council.