AMDSB Centre for Employment & Learning Now Offering PSW Certification Program
The Avon Maitland District School Board’s Centre for Employment & Learning (CEL) is preparing to offer a new FREE Personal Support Worker (PSW) certification program, with on-the-job training in a co-operative education (co-op) format.
The program is available to anyone interested in pursuing a career as a PSW and includes the following components:
- Three Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) credits (theory, 330 hours)
- Three OSSD credits (co-op, 330 hours)
- One OSSD credit - supervised clinical (110 hours incorporated into the 3 theory credit timeline)
- Two OSSD credits - community placement (220 hours completed after)
- On the job training which includes a placement in a long-term care facility as well as a community placement in a group home, adult day program, community health agency, respite care facility or an assisted living facility.
Program participants benefit from the following incentives:
- No registration fee ($1,500)
- Available pay during co-op component (up to $5,115)
- With permission, can use a current work placement for up to 110 hours of the 330 hours of co-op
- No high school diploma required to register for, or to complete, this program
- Credits received can also count towards a high school diploma if not yet achieved
Full details are posted at thecentreforemploymentandlearning.ca/psw but participants should be aware that the program runs from February 28 to December 16, 2022, and includes a combination of online (live) and in person classes.
Kendra Brohman, CEL Principal says: “We are pleased to be able to offer this course at no cost to individuals interested in the PSW career path. Students with or without a high school diploma are eligible so we believe this flexibility will suit a wide variety of individuals.”
Visit thecentreforemploymentandlearning.ca/psw for full details on dates, requirements and the registration process.