Labour Relations Updates
If you would like to receive regular labour updates please:
- Visit this page regularly
- Follow us on social media:
March 20, 2020: ETFO Announces Tentative Deal at the Central Bargaining Table
March 6, 2020: ETFO Announces Phase 7 of Work-to-rule Action and OSSTF Announces Additional Sanctions (no strike days)
- Picket outside of their school/worksite for a minimum of 20 minutes
- Ask parents to arrange and/or participate in a ‘walk-in’
- Make a personal phone call to a Progressive Conservative (PC) MPP
- Send a letter to the Ontario Public School Boards’ Association (OPSBA) Executive Council concerning the 2019 round of central bargaining
- Post/share messages on social media
- Picket outside the school board office during a board meeting
- Book a meeting with a PC MPP or picket outside of a PC MPP’s office
- Call on parents and retired educators to join ETFO members
- Organize a group to leaflet homes
- Ask to attend a school council meeting to talk to parents about key elementary bargaining issues
- Write a letter/email about education cuts and send it to the local newspaper
February 28, 2020: OSSTF Announces One-day Walkout for Select Boards on Thursday March 5 (AMDSB NOT included)
February 24, 2020: ETFO Announces Phase 6 of Work-to-Rule Action. No Additional Strike Days
February 21, 2020: OSSTF Announces One-day Walkout for Select School Boards on Friday Feb 28 (AMDSB NOT included)
February 12, 2020: OSSTF and ETFO Announce One-day Walkout for ALL School Boards on Friday Feb 21 (All AMDSB schools closed)
February 7, 2020: OSSTF Announces One-day Walkouts for Select Boards on Feb 13 (All AMDSB schools will be closed to students)
February 5, 2020: ETFO Announces One-day Walkouts for Select Boards on Feb 10 and ALL Boards on Feb 11 (AMDSB is affected)
January 30, 2020: OSSTF Announces One-day Walkouts for Select Boards on Feb 4 (AMDSB NOT affected)
January 27, 2020: ETFO Announces One-day Walkouts for Select Boards on Feb 4 and ALL Boards on Feb 6 (AMDSB included)
- NOT participate in extracurricular activities at any time.
- A one-day rotating strike, and
- A one-day full provincial strike each week.
January 23, 2020: ETFO Announces One-day Walkout for Select Boards on January 27 and 28 (AMDSB NOT included)
The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO) will continue week two of rotating strikes.
On January 27 the following school boards are impacted: Simcoe, Waterloo, Keewatin-Patricia and Penetanguishene Protestant Separate. Click here for full details.
On January 28 the following school boards are impacted: Kawartha Pine Ridge, Hastings-Prince Edward, and Upper Grand, as well as Moosonee and Moose Factory Island school authorities. Click here for full details.
January 18, 2020: ETFO Announces One-day Walkout for Select Boards on January 23 (AMDSB is included)
January 17, 2020: ETFO Announces One-day Walkout for Select Boards on January 22
ETFO (Elementary Teachers' Foundation of Ontario) has given the required five-day notice for Thames Valley, Rainy River and Rainbow school boards in anticipation of a one-day strike on Wednesday January 22nd, unless a deal is reached.
Avon Maitland is not included in this action. Details can be found here.
January 15, 2020: OSSTF Announces Additional Sanctions and One-day Walkout for Select Boards on January 21
On Tuesday, January 21, teachers and education workers represented by OSSTF in certain school boards will take part in another one-day, full withdrawal of services in selected locations across Ontario. This does not include AMDSB.
OSSTF members in other school boards across the province (including AMDSB) will continue to engage in activities that draw attention to the dangers of the Ford government’s education agenda.
A limited withdrawal of services, which began on November 26, 2019, will continue province-wide, and will be augmented by additional sanctions beginning Monday, January 20. Details of these additional sanctions are listed here.
January 15, 2020: Ministry Announces Compensation for Eligible Families when Schools are Closed due to Labour Disruption
The Ministry of Education is launching Support for Parents, an initiative that will provide financial support to parents of eligible children for each day of school that is missed on account of the labour disruption. Parents with children attending school-based child care centres that are closed on account of the labour disruption will also be eligible to receive support.
Parents will be able, and strongly encouraged, to submit applications via an online system. The system is open as of today and will remain so until four weeks after the labour disruption ends. Details can be found here. The Ministry has also provided a Frequently Asked Questions document - click here for details.
Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation (OSSTF)
- Engage in information pickets before or after school, or during lunch periods (this will not disrupt the regular school day and will have no effect on students in the classroom. Educators will simply distribute information to parents and to the general public).
A limited withdrawal of services that will affect government or school board initiatives only. These job actions will have no impact on student learning. Full details on this job action can be found here.
Elementary Teachers (ETFO - Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario)
- November 26, 2019: Phase 1 began. It targets Ministry and school board administrative tasks and does not directly impact students. Details of this action can be found here.
- December 10, 2019: Phase 2 began. Details can be found here.
January 13, 2020: Phase 3 began. Details can be found here.
January 20, 2020: Phase 4 began. Details can be found here.
- February 3, 2020: Phase 5 began. Details can be found here.
- February 26, 2020: Phase 6 began. Details can be found here.
Custodian and Maintenance Staff (UNIFOR)
Centre for Employment & Learning
Other Community Groups (Day Cares, Community Use of Schools, etc.)