Board Meeting Highlights - February 23, 2021
Trustees and Senior Staff Welcome Superintendent Laura Marotta
The Board is pleased to welcome a new Superintendent to the Senior Team on the heels of the retirement of Jodie Baker. Laura joins AMDSB after several years in the Education sector at a variety of levels, in a variety of school boards. She will be taking over several portfolios including Mental Health and Well-being, International Education and Research. Welcome Laura!
OSSTF Ratifies Terms of Collective Agreement
The permanent and contract teachers group of OSSTF has officially ratified the terms of their new collective agreement. Congratulations to all of those involved in these negotiations.
Stratford Intermediate School Renovations Nearly Complete
Superintendent Carter was happy to announce that the renovations at Stratford Intermediate School are near completion. A media release was issued on February 5. Full details can be found here.
New Specialist High Skills Major in Agriculture Approved for LDSS
Superintendent Morris was pleased to share that a new Specialist High Skills Major in Agriculture will be offered to students at Listowel District Secondary School (LDSS). This initiative aligns with the focus that the Municipality of North Perth has on the Agriculture sector, as well as the recent announcement of a new Agriculture Science Centre. Full details can be found in the February 23 media release.
Student Trustee Update
Student trustees (Makenzie Hallam and Elizabeth Benoit) reported that the videos that introduce the senate (what they are and what they do) were sent to grades 5 and 6 students in feeder schools. Also, their Personal Protective Equipment recycling program has expanded to Listowel District SS, FE Madill SS, St Marys DCVI and Goderich District Collegiate Institute. As a result, all secondary schools will have at least two boxes in their buildings. They have also applied for a federal grant that will enable them to spread this initiative to all AMDSB elementary schools and eventually the community (in partnership with South Huron District High School's Eco-Exeter group).
Superintendents Creery and Langis presented an update on the work of the Director's Work Plan. Superintendent Creery outlined details of:
- Assessment and Evaluation Practices: A wide variety of professional development opportunities have been hosted for staff that align practices with the provincial guidance document (Growing Success; 2010) and AMDSB Administrative Procedure 377.
- Equity Action Plan: The Equity Steering Committee is developing a framework for intentional anti-racist, anti-oppression, equity and inclusion work across roles, departments, and spaces, that is action oriented and responsive to AMDSB needs.
- Supporting Indigenous Student Achievement: Work in this area is being guided by a needs assessment that looks to answer three questions: What do we know about student achievement and engagement in our board? What do we know about educator learning needs? How do we include the Indigenous community in our schools?
Superintendent Langis reviewed the AMDSB COVID-19 Safety Management. Full details of the COVID-19 Health and Safety protocols being implemented in AMDSB schools and work sites are outlined in the "AMDSB Back to School Plan". The family version can be found here. A COVID-19 Management in Schools document was also created to outline how schools and work sites handle and report cases. Both documents are regularly updated and new changes are communicated to staff and families via email, social media and the amdsb.ca website.
Senior Staff Updates
Update on the Pathways Advisory Committee
The Pathways Advisory Committee met on February 11. The group welcomed Keynote Speaker Dr. John Callegher who discussed "Five Great Reasons for a Career in the Trades." In addition, a survey was conducted to examine the skills that teachers, students and industry partners felt were needed in order to prepare students for the workforce. Full details will be posted on the board website in the Pathways section. Their next meeting will be held on April 15.
Future Board Meetings
- Tuesday, March 23, 2021 (Committee of the Whole, Closed Session at 4:30 p.m., and Regular Session at 6:00 p.m.)
Meetings will be hosted online using Microsoft Teams until further notice. Links to join the meetings will be posted on the Board Meeting page.
Future Meetings/Events with Trustee Representation
- Special Education Advisory Committee – March 3, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
Meetings will be hosted online until further notice.